It is important that you carefully read this page before starting the application.
North Iowa Regional Housing Authority waiting lists are still open. At this time vouchers are not being issued to new applicants. The Section 8 waiting list is still open and accepting new preliminary applications.
Preliminary applications (pre-application) will be marked with the date and time you submit the completed application. This is the date and time that will determine your placement on the waiting list. The application will be reviewed by our agency within a few days and your application will be updated online after it is reviewed. You will be able to check your status using the WaitListCheck website. Please DO NOT call the housing authority for your status.
It is your responsibility to carefully read and complete each question of the application. Make sure to provide all information that the question requests. NIRHA reserves the right to initiate termination of assistance in the event information is received after lease up that would affect the applicant’s eligibility.
Please tell us if you need any disability-related accommodations to apply or lease a unit. It is not necessary to give us details about your disability on this form.
Housing programs available
Our agency provides assistance through the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program and also the Public Housing programs. You may complete an application for each program. For the Public Housing, you will need to complete a separate application for each site you are interested in.
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program provides rental assistance in the private rental market. Participants choose a rental unit and, upon approval, receive rental assistance in that unit. This program is available throughout the following eight county jurisdiction in Iowa: Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Franklin, Hancock, Kossuth, Mitchell, Winnebago, and Worth. Our jurisdiction excludes the incorporated city limits of Mason City, Charles City, and Riceville. The current expected wait for Section 8 assistance is at least a year for applicants with a preference and the wait will be several years for applicants with no preference. To learn more about the Section 8 program, please visit the Section 8 program section of our website. Public Housing provides assistance in rental units owned and managed by NIRHA. The rent for these units is income based. When applying, you may choose to be on the waiting list for one or all of the housing sites as long as there are units available for your household size. If you want to be on multiple public housing waiting list, you will need to complete a separate application for each site. To learn more about the public housing program, please visit the public housing section of our website.
Please apply only for communities that have your household size. Bedrooms cannot hold more than two occupants. To determine your bedroom size, see below.
- One bedroom units: Household composed of one person, married couple, or a co-habitating couple.
- Two bedroom units: Household composition of a single parent or couple and one child or two children of the same gender.
- Three bedroom units: Household composition of a single parent or couple and at least one child of each gender, up to two per bedroom. Example: A mother with three children, two boys and a girl or a couple with a boy and a girl.
- Four bedroom unit: Single parent or couple and up to four children of one gender and up to two children of the other gender or up to six children of one gender. Example: A mother with three boys and two girls or a couple with six boys.
Public housing communities and amenities are listed below. All units include refrigerator and range. Tenant is responsible for all utilities, except where indicated.
- Algona, Iowa: 2, 3, and 4 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; air conditioner sleeve; off street parking.
- Britt, Iowa: 2 and 3 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; air conditioner sleeve; and close to schools.
- Clear Lake, Iowa: 2 and 3 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; air conditioner sleeve; off street parking.
- Forest City, Iowa: 2 and 3 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; off street parking; and close to schools.
- Hampton, Iowa: 1 and 2 bedrooms - Elderly, near-elderly, handicapped, or disabled housing only. Amenities include: central air; laundry facilities; individual storage; off street parking; and all utilities paid.
- Manly, Iowa: 1 and 2 bedrooms - Elderly, near-elderly, handicapped, or disabled housing only. Amenities include: laundry facilities; off street parking; and water and sewer paid. Tenant responsible for gas and electricity.
- Northwood, Iowa: 3 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; off street parking; and close to schools.
- Osage, Iowa: 2 bedrooms. Amenities include: air conditioner sleeve; washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; and off street parking.
- Rockford, Iowa: 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; and off street parking.
- Sheffield, Iowa: 2 bedrooms. Amenities include: washer and dryer hookup; individual storage shed; air conditioner sleeve; and off street parking.
Our agency has one preference for the waiting list.
Residency Preference: This preference gives priority on the waiting list to applicants who live, are employed, or attend school full-time in our jurisdiction: Cerro Gordo County, Floyd County, Franklin County, Hancock County, Kossuth County, Mitchell County, Winnebago County, and Worth County. Please indicate if you are eligible for the residency preference and your current county of residence or employment. When your name reaches the top of the list, you will be asked to provide verification that you are eligible for this preference.
To complete your application, you are required to provide the following identification materials with this preliminary application. Please send these items into our office as soon as possible to complete your application.
- Clear copies of photo ID for each household member 18 years or older
- Copies of Social Security cards for every household member
You are required to keep your address current while you are on the waiting list. If you fail to keep your address current and any mailing from this office is returned to sender, then your name will be removed from the waiting list. If your address changes, please notify us in writing at:
North Iowa Regional Housing Authority
202 1st St SE Ste 203
Mason City, IA 50401
If you have any questions regarding the proper completion of the Preliminary Application, you are strongly encouraged to contact NIRHA the email provided or at 641-423-0897 or 888-817-1841 extension 1 for assistance.