The Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Program provides rental assistance to low-income families in the private rental market. The program was designed to achieve the following goals:
- To provide improved living conditions for low-income families while maintaining their rent payments at an affordable level;
- To promote freedom of housing choice and integrate lower income and minority families into mainstream society;
- To provide decent, safe and sanitary housing for eligible participants; and
- To provide an incentive to private owners to rent to lower income families by offering timely assistance payments, a pool of families to select from, and regular inspections to insure upkeep of the property.
The Ashland Assisted Housing Agency serves families in Boyd County, Kentucky.
Applications are being taken for the following Preferences beginning January 8, 2018:
P1: Families who are:
- Where terminated from HVC program due to insufficient HVC funding
- Victims of domestic violence
- Victims of domestic violence in public housing
- Displaced by government action
- Deemed homeless by written verification from local support agency
- Where head, co-head or spouse is defined as a veteran
- Youth Aging Out of Foster Care
P2: Families who are:
- Families working or attending school and live in Boyd County
- Families who are defined as elderly, where the head of household, spouse, or sole member is a person who is 62 years of age
- Families who are defined as disabled, where the head of household, spouse, or sole member of the household is a person with disabilities
No other applications will be accepted.
The application process involves two phases: the Preliminary Application, which results in the families placement on the waiting list, and the second phase application, when the family approaches the top of the waiting list. The second phase is the final determination of eligibility. Assistance is contingent on Federal income limits, program regulations, and additional screening, including a criminal record check.
All required documentation must be submitted to be considered for the waiting list. Attach your application confirmation number on all documents submitted. The following documents must be submitted within 10 business days: head of household birth certificate, driver's license, and social security card. (If you need assistance obtaining these items please contact our office.)
A Reasonable Accommodation ensures persons with disabilities have full access to all Ashland Assisted Housing Authority's programs and services. Any applicant or participant may at any time during the application process or tenancy, request reasonable accommodation to allow a disabled family to meet lease requirements or other terms of tenancy. Persons with disabilities who need an accommodation should contact 606-327-5456.
Violence Against Women Authorization Act of 2005
The Violence Against Women Act of 2005 (VAWA) prohibits denial of admission to an otherwise qualified applicant on the basis that the applicant or participant has been a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking. Specifically, Section 606(4) (A) of VAWA adds the provision to Section 8 of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937, which lists provisions and requirements for the Housing Choice Voucher program: That an applicant or participant is or has been a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking is not an appropriate reason for denial of program assistance or the denial of admission, if the applicant or participant otherwise qualifies for admission to the program.
Equal Housing Opportunity
It is the policy of the City of Ashland to cooperate closely with the Kentucky Commission on Human Rights in order to safeguard all individuals within the city from discrimination because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or familial status in connection with housing ; thereby to protect their interest in personal dignity and freedom from humiliation, to make available to the city their full productive capacities, to achieve a condition in which individuals of similar income levels have a like range of housing choices available to them regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or familial status.
Ashland Assisted Housing Authority is located at the Ashland City Building, 1700 Greenup Avenue, Suite 212, Ashland, Kentucky. Hours of Operation are Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Walk in hours are Monday & Wednesday from 9a.m.-11a.m. and 2p.m.-4:00p.m. Clients will only be seen during walk in hours.
Appointments may be made by contacting a housing specialist.
Last Names F-Z
Last Names A-E
No fees are associated with the application to the Housing Choice Voucher program. Any website requesting a fee in order to apply are not legitimate and not related to the Housing Authority.